Bikers for Babies rally Sunday
Hundreds of bikers are expected to come through the Tonganoxie area Sunday as part of the Kansas City Bikers for Babies event through the March of Dimes.
The event is not an escorted ride, so riders can begin the ride anytime between 8 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. Sunday. There also will be a Chris Cakes pancake breakfast and then opening ceremonies at 9:15 a.m. at Kansas Speedway.
In 2010, roughly 6,200 participants raised more than $715,000, bringing the 16-year event total to $5.1 million. The annual event started in 1995 when 150 riders raised roughly $3,000.
According to the Bikers for Babies website, the Kansas City Bikers for Babies event is the largest of its kind in the country. In addition, the March of Dimes has given more than $1.7 million in grants to Kansas City area hospitals since 2000.
The ride will span 100 miles. Large groups of bikers are expected to make their way through Tonganoxie between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. Residents can greet bikers along the route, which will be U.S. Highway 24-40 through Tonganoxie.
For more information, go to bikersforbabieskc.org.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie Easter egg hunt today in Chieftain Park
- Kansas City Connection: Library activities go way beyond books
- Organizers planning many activities for Spooktacular
- Kansas City Connection: Dance festival, Big Picnic, Van Halen make braving summer heat worth it
- Tonganoxie Public Library bingo offerings providing afternoon fun