One person killed in vehicle-train accident near Riverfront Park north of Lawrence
One person died early Monday morning in a vehicle-train accident just north of Lawrence.
Apparently the driver of the vehicle went around the cross arms near the entrance to Riverfront Park and the vehicle was struck by a northbound coal train, according according to Operation 100's Mike Frizzell, The Mirror's reporting partner.
The driver was pronounced dead at the scene of the crash, which occurred shortly before 2:30 a.m. Monday.
The accident scene is just west of the intersection of U.S. Highway 24-40 and 24-59, which also is referred to as TeePee Junction.
We'll provide more information when it becomes available.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie High School track teams look to build on 2014
- Hanging of 'In Cold Blood' killers marks 50th anniversary
- Tonganoxie City Council candidate questionnaire: Curtis Oroke
- It's always a day of sweat treats in Tonganoxie
- Frese: Push for Tonganoxie Public Libary expansion starts with Saturday run