Troyer to be hired as THS football coach
Pending board approval, the Tonganoxie school district plans to hire Al Troyer as the new Tonganoxie High head football coach, the district announced Monday in a press release.
Troyer, a Hutchinson native and 28-year coaching veteran, comes to Tonganoxie from Larned High School, where he assumed head coaching duties before the 2008-09 season. Before heading to LHS, he spent 22 years teaching and coaching in the Richardson (Texas) Independent School District.
"We feel our school district is very fortunate to obtain a football coach with the abundance of knowledge that coach Troyer has obtained through his years in education," THS athletics director Brandon Parker said in the release. "coach Troyer's football resume shows that he has worked with all levels of athletes and, regardless of their natural ability, he knows his ultimate job is to motivate students by challenging them to become better people and football players by building their self esteem."
A meet and greet for the community will take place at 7 p.m. on April 9 in the THS Chieftain Room.
Troyer was one of 21 applicants interviewed for the position. He takes over a squad that went 1-8 last season under interim head coach Matt Bond. Former head coach Mark Elston announced his resignation two days before the start of the 2011 season. Elston had been suspended following an altercation with a player during practice.
More like this story
- Monster 2nd quarter key in 45-7 Tonganoxie High victory; THS still undefeated heading into Week 9
- Kaw Valley, district titles on line Friday in Tonganoxie-Basehor clash
- Tonganoxie High boys soccer opens regionals as No. 1 seed
- Tonganoxie High boys soccer ties KC Christian on Senior Night, finishes regular season unbeaten
- Tonganoxie High soccer opens 4-1A regionals as No. 4 seed