Police identify Linwood man killed in Lawrence motorcycle accident
Lawrence police on Friday morning identified 43-year-old Steven C. Miller of Linwood as the motorcyclist who died in an accident Thursday morning in North Lawrence.
Sgt. Trent McKinley said Miller died after a car turned left in front of his southbound motorcycle around 8:50 a.m. Thursday in the 1000 block of North Third Street.
McKinley said Thursday that according to preliminary information it appeared the driver of the northbound car, Delores A. Statler, 79, of Lawrence, failed to yield to Miller when she had a flashing yellow light. Statler was turning into the I-70 Business Center.
Miller, who was wearing a helmet, eventually died from his injuries in the crash.
Police identified both drivers Friday morning after they spent Thursday notifying Miller’s family members.
No citations have been issued, and police are expected to eventually send a report to Douglas County prosecutors for review.
“It will take some time for the investigation to be fully completed,” McKinley said.
Police on Thursday had incorrectly reported the ages of Miller and Statler as 44 and 80, respectively.
More like this story
- Linwood man dies in Lawrence motorcycle accident
- Douglas County drug investigation seizes $1 million in meth from Mexican drug cartel
- Kansas: Missing 19-year-old found alive with homicide victim's car
- Topeka has second fatal motorcycle accident in 2 days
- Police looking for driver of stolen truck who led officers on chase