Local graduates complete Navy basic training
Two recent area high school graduates have completed U.S. Navy basic training.
Navy Seaman Recruits Justin S. Soetaert, son of Holly G. and Scott Soetaert of Tonganoxie, and Dustin G. Summers, son of Roseann L. Schuman, McLouth, and Emmitt G. Summers, Osawatomie, recently completed U.S. Navy basic training at Recruit Training Command, Great Lakes, Ill.
During the eight-week program, Soetaert and Summers completed training that included classroom study and practical instruction on naval customs, first aid, firefighting, water safety and survival, and shipboard and aircraft safety. The capstone event of boot camp is “Battle Stations.” This exercise gives recruits the skills and confidence they need to succeed in the fleet. It’s designed to galvanize the basic warrior attributes of sacrifice, dedication, teamwork and endurance in each recruit through the practical application of basic Navy skills and the core values of honor, courage and commitment.
Soetaert is a 2011 graduate of Tonganoxie High School; Summer graduated from McLouth High School in 2008.
More like this story
- Kansas City Connection: City Market a hub for delicious ethnic food
- Kansas City Connection: Char Bar, Sleater-Kinney, Zubaz and giant Lego sculptures
- Kansas City Connection: Sorting through the hoopla of the Big 12 tournament
- Kansas City Connection: Record Store Day, Malcolm Gladwell and Third Thursday
- Kansas student's budget documentary stirs controversy