Lawrence man arrested in connection with alleged indecent liberties with 13-year-old Tonganoxie girl
A 24-year-old Lawrence man who allegedly molested a 13-year-old Tonganoxie girl in a Tonganoxie park is in Leavenworth County Jail.
Police arrested the man Friday at his Lawrence home on a charge of attempted aggravated incident liberties with a child younger than 14.
Tonganoxie police Chief Jeff Brandau said the arrest capped a six-week investigation by Tonganoxie and Lawrence police. In July, the girl told Tonganoxie police she met the man through an online social site. She also alleges that he later asked to meet her in person at a city park, Brandau said. The girl told police the man attempted to molest her at Chieftain Park in Tonganoxie.
“The arrest highlights the need for parents to monitor their children’s Internet and social networking usage,” Brandau said. “Predators roam these sites looking for young children that later become the victims.”
The man was in custody in Leavenworth County Jail, an official there said Friday.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie High grad still playing ball
- Proposal to hike ag land taxes spawns backlash from Kansas farmers
- Kansas school funding plan aimed at ending budget surprises
- Kansas ponders new protections for campus religious groups
- Kansas City Connection: Sorting through the hoopla of the Big 12 tournament