Archive for Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Remember When: A Community Review

December 4, 2012

10 years ago: Nov. 27, 2002

Deaths: Stella L. Luse, 82, McLouth, died Nov. 18, 2002; Letha Pearl Anderson, 100, Liberty, Mo., died Nov. 21, 2002;; Woodrow R. Strobel, 89, Eudora, died Nov. 24, 2002.

Chiefs mascot visits Genesis: KC Wolf, also known as Dan Meers, settles into a pew at Tonganoxie Christian Church as he greets students who attend Genesis Christian Academy. As the eight-foot-tall furry mascot of the Kansas City Chiefs lumbered into the sanctuary, some children shied away from the creature — but most moved toward him, laughing and shrieking.

Students in Mrs. Wedel’s kindergarten class donned sunglasses for a jazz song they performed for their parents at their Thanksgiving party Monday. (Pictured were Brandon Williams, Cameron Janssen, Lauren Harrell, Haleigh Peel, Celia Gudenkauf, Kendall Parsons and Maggie Parsons. After singing, the students served homemade cake to their guests.)

25 years ago: Nov. 18, 1987

Flag Dedication: Commander Pat Pathiakis of the VFW Post No. 9271 officially gave the ceremony for the raising of the American Flag at Hubbel Hill Cemetery in honor of the late Mr. John White on Veterans Day, Nov. 11, 1987. This took place at 10:15 a.m. with Ransley McNulty, Senior Vice-Commander, assisting. (Present and shown in the picture were Mrs. Vara Diddy and Ms. Helen Schilling.) This was a joint effort on the part of the VFW and the American Legion. Mr. John White, for 29 years, faithfully placed the flag on all veteran’s graves at both Hubbel Hill and Maple Grove cemeteries, assisted by his wife, Jeanette White and Mr. and Mrs. Dean Mitchell and family. Sometimes Jeanette’s sister, Jean and family from Lawrence, used to also assist John.)

Damon New joined an elite group of FFA achievers Nov. 13, 1987. Damon received the highest FFA degree of membership-that of American Farmer. This degree is limited to only two percent of its total 430,000 members and Damon was one of only eleven Kansas members to receive the award at the convention of a record-breaking 23,000 members.

50 years ago: Dec. 6, 1962

Mr. Amos Evans Wilson, Tonganoxie, passed away Dec. 6, 1962 at the age of 69 years.

Basehor: Mr. and Mrs. Bernard Eberth announce the birth of a daughter Dec. 2, 1962, to whom they have given the name, Leigh Ann.

Linwood: Mr. and Mrs. Richard Montgomery announce the birth of a son Nov. 28. They have given him the name Gregory Joel.

Accent on Youth: Bill D. Schul, Juvenile Director, Kansas Attorney General’s Office: A woman once asked Francis Parker, the noted educator, how soon she should start training her child. “When will your child be born?” Parker asked. “Born?....why, he’s 5 years old,” responded the woman. “My dear,” replied Parker, “you’ve lost the best five years already.”

75 years ago: Nov. 11, 1937

From “It Happened in Kansas” by F. A. Cooper: Prairie Fire … The prairie fire was the Indian’s front line defense. He did not set fire to the buffalo grass in order to ensure a good stand the next year. Each fall the Indians burned the prairie so as to protect their winter camps. They knew that no war party should attempt to travel over these vast blackened stretches of prairie because of the scarcity of feed for their ponies. Incidentally it was the yearly prairie fires and not the lack of rainfall that caused the scarcity of trees in early Kansas. In fact, the treeless plains extended back even into the Ozarks before the coming of the white men.

Mrs. Will Ridgeway, Tonganoxie’s leading peace advocate, reminds us that Armistice Day is a “peace” day and not a war day. The first armistice, 19 years ago, was a celebration of the return of peace.

Junior Bowman left Monday for California, where he will enlist in the U.S. Marines.

Mrs. Harold Baker, Miss Della Dreisbach, Mrs. Lawrence Stoneking, Mrs. Theo Stoneking and Mrs. David Thistlethwaite motored Wednesday to Topeka.

100 years ago: Nov. 21, 1912

William Freienmuth left Tuesday for McAlester, Okla., to look at the Indian lands offered for sale.

A daughter was born to Mr. and Mrs. Smith Monday.

Lewis and Robert Leidy arrived home yesterday from Washington, where they have been the last two years. The former is in Tacoma and the latter in Seattle. They have a two-week vacation, which gives them about a week to stay with their parents.

Jake Fulcher, formerly of Stranger township, came out Saturday from Kansas City to stay a few days. The steer which he owned and which he was exhibiting all over the country was accidentally shot at Preston, Minn., and died 20 days afterward in Illinois. The animal weighed 3,665 pounds and the hide weighed 240 pounds. (One young man traveling with the steer pointed a rifle at another young man, who protested. The young man then turned the rifle in another direction and pulled the trigger. The loaded weapon struck the steer in the shoulder.) Mr. Fulcher had refused an offer of $3,000 and 40 acres for the animal and the loss falls heavily upon him. He did not have the steer insured for the insurance rates were too high.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.