School board extends Weseman’s contract
Tonganoxie USD 464 Superintendent Randy Weseman plans to stay in the district a few more years with a substantial pay increase.
The school board unanimously approved extending his contract through 2016 with roughly a 22 percent pay increase next year.
Weseman was serving as interim superintendent since being hired before the 2011-12 year. He earned $90,000 that year and was hired for another year on an interim basis for the current school year at the same rate.
Because Weseman is retired from his years as Lawrence school district superintendent, the Tonganoxie school district must pay a 20 percent penalty to KPERS, which was another $18,000 for 2011-12 and 2012-13.
The interim label has been removed, but the district still must pay a 20 percent penalty to KPERS, which will be $22,000 beginning with the 2013-14 school year.
Originally from the western Kansas community of Dighton, Weseman served in the Air Force and then graduated from Kansas University. He student-taught in Lawrence before being hired as a high school teacher in 1976. He later taught at the junior high level and was a building administrator, both as assistant principal and principal, at the junior high level before eventually being named superintendent in 2000. He retired in 2009.
In other business, the board:
• Approved, 7-0, creating a education design/construction advisory team for the elementary school project.
• Approved, 7-0, construction manager at-risk as the construction delivery model and to authorize distribution of request for quotation documents for possible review by the education design/construction advisory team.
• Accepted, 7-0, the 2012 financial audit.
• Approved resignations from THS cross country coach Phil Williams, who is retiring from the position and will not return for the 2013-14 school year, and Zeb Kissinger, THS east campus custodian.
•Approved contracts for Jamie Landrum, custodian, who will transfer from THS east campus to TES, Charles Lanza and Richard Shade, THS east campus custodians, and Richard Shade, regular route bus driver.
• Approved the minutes of the November meeting, as well as bills and treasurer’s report.