Owner no stranger to operating liquor store
LaDonna Shipman has opened a new liquor store in Tonganoxie, but she’s no stranger to the business.
She opened Suburban Liquor in November in the former B and J Amoco convenience store. Her brother, Terry Roberts, owned Roberts Liquor Store in Lansing and her father, Don Roberts, opened the first Basehor liquor store by the same name roughly 35 years ago. Though the family no longer owns the Lansing store, it still is operated under the same name.
“My family has a long history with the liquor business and I was looking for a new challenge,” Shipman said.
The store, next to B and J Country Mart at 313 Ridge St., opened just in time for the holidays. Shipman said business has been strong.
“It was a good startup time,” Shipman said.
The business is open 9 a.m.-10 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays, 9 a.m.-11 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays and noon to 8 p.m. on Sundays. Suburban Liquor also takes special-order requests, Shipman said.
More like this story
- Kansas considers changes to policies for state workers
- Kansas lawmakers seek classroom tweaks in school budget row
- Linenberger: Brownback's decision on LGBT protections should trigger public action
- Governor creates Social Services Policy Council
- Kansas lawmakers seek to boost campaign contribution limits