The McLouth United Methodist Church will sponsor a fundraiser for baby Raiden Harnden to assist with expenses not covered by insurance. Raiden was born in September 2011 with a myelomeningocele, the most severe type of spina bifida.
It is a neural tube defect in which the bones of the spine do not completely form, resulting in an incomplete spinal canal. This causes the spinal cord and meninges (the tissues covering the spinal cord) to stick out of the child's back. Surgical closure is required shortly after birth.
Raiden also has hydrocephalus and has a ventricular peritoneal shunt to remove excess fluid from around his brain. These conditions require lifelong treatment for problems that result from damage to the spinal cord and spinal nerves.
A baked potato bar with dessert and drink will be offered during the McLouth High School home basketball game with Valley Falls on Feb. 24. The event will take place in the Home Economics room at MHS before and during the game. Volunteer coordinator for this event is Sue Hollingsworth: (913) 796-6556.
Please keep Baby Raiden and his family in your prayers.
• The adult Sunday school class is sponsoring a soup and chili supper from 5 to 6:30 p.m.. Saturday at McLouth United Methodist Church. They will serve vegetable soup, chili and dessert. Free will offerings are appreciated.
• McLouth United Methodist Church will have a book study on the book "Heaven Is For Real" during the Sundays of Lent, from 4 to 5 p.m., Feb. 26 through April 1.
• McLouth Public Library's book discussion group will meet at 6:30 p.m. Monday. For more information, please call (913) 796-2225.
• All are welcome to join in a new comprehensive Bible study, titled "The Bible's Big Ideas," beginning at 7 p.m., Sunday, March 4, at First Baptist Church of McLouth. This will be a continuous study of the entire Bible, which will run until November 2012 (with breaks between 5 sections), providing a wonderful opportunity to learn together.
• McLouth's Patriots Day parade and events will be Saturday, April 21.
— Please submit McLouth Community information, announcements and upcoming events to Beverly Muzzy: firstname.lastname@example.org or (913) 796-6935.