Ordinance disposals at fort heard in Tonganoxie
The disposal of obsolete ordnance from Fort Leavenworth was the source of explosions heard at about 5 p.m. Thursday in the Tonganoxie area.
Leavenworth County Undersheriff Ron Cranor said a Fort Riley explosive ordnance disposal team was summoned Thursday to Fort Leavenworth to pick up the explosives.
“They took charge of the ordnance at Fort Leavenworth but didn’t want to transport it all the way back to Fort Riley,” Cranor said. “We’ve worked in concert with them in the past. Our bomb disposal people assisted them in getting rid of it.”
The ordnance was blown up at about 5 pm. at the Tonganoxie Quarry, Cranor said. He said the sheriff’s office bomb team member attending said the incident was routine.
“He said it was not that big of stuff,” Cranor said. “He said there had been a lot bigger (explosions) in the past.”
More like this story
- Accept the Chiefs' Challenge in Tonganoxie
- Kansas City Connection: Sorting through the hoopla of the Big 12 tournament
- Tonganoxie USD 464 candidate questionnaire: Diane Truesdell
- Audit finds UMKC business school ran up deficit to boost ranking
- Tonganoxie St. Pat's Parade organizers working to bulk up annual spring event