Fireworks can be shot off Tuesday, Wednesday
Firecracker enthusiasts legally can shoot fireworks starting Tuesday morning.
City ordinance states that fireworks can be shot off from 8 a.m.-11 p.m. July 3 and 4 each year. Fireworks also can only be discharged on private property, unless residents are given special permission from the city. Bottle rockets also are prohibited.
City Administrator Nathan McCommon said he’s chatted with other area city officials and the National Weather Service about the need to restrict firework use due to the recent dry weather. The city will not implement any additional restrictions, but McCommon said residents should be cognizant of the conditions.
“Normal precautions you would take any year, we would of course encourage those again this year,” McCommon said. “The first half of that word is fire — fireworks.”
— For more on safety tips for the upcoming holiday, see page 6.
More like this story
- Face to Face: Tonganoxie's Patrick Budy
- Kansas City Connection: Sorting through the hoopla of the Big 12 tournament
- Salina company acquires 13 vintage record presses
- Rookies and veterans: Tonganoxie Chieftains sending four freshmen, two seniors to state
- Tonganoxie Public Library presenting Celtic performance at the Jewel on Main