Tonganoxie High senior participates in Boys State
Tyler O’Briant participated in American Legion Boys State of Kansas, which took place June 3-9 on the Kansas State University campus in Manhattan.
O’Briant, who will be a Tonganoxie High School senior in the fall, was one of 470 boys to attend the weeklong government and leadership program. During Boys State, he was a member of the city of Aylward, in Bradley County. He had the position of Department of Education.
The Boys State program consists of an interactive simulation that teachers high school seniors-to-be the value of democracy and civic duty. Participants form mock governments and campaign for positions at the city, county and state levels.
Delegates heard throughout the week from various speakers, including the keynote address from 1970 Boys Stater and current Kansas Senate Minority Leader Anthony Hensley. Appellate Court Judge Joe Pierron, Attorney General Derek Schmidt, state Sen. Roger Reitz and motivational speaker Dustin Galyon also spoke, as did Gov. Sam Brownback. Delegates voted to name Brownback an honorary 75th anniversary Boys Stater.
More like this story
- Kansas City Connection: Library activities go way beyond books
- Kansas City Connection: Record Store Day, Malcolm Gladwell and Third Thursday
- First land bank lots from Fort Riley overbuilding to be sold
- Kansas City Connection: The debut of KC Ballet's new 'Nutcracker' and other family activities
- Kansas City Connection: Sushi and Sufjan