10-year-old Leavenworth County girl dies in RTV accident on farm
A Leavenworth County 10-year-old has died at an area hospital after an accident on a rough terrain vehicle Thursday night.
Shelbee Heim, of rural Leavenworth, was operating a Kubota RTV 400 about 8:30 p.m. Thursday on her family’s farm in the 31700 block of 179th Street. She was driving the four-wheel vehicle on a dirt path next to a pond when the vehicle dropped off the pond edge and rolled onto the driver’s side, trapping Shelbee under water, according to Leavenworth County Sheriff’s Office reports.
Shelbee’s father, Gary Heim, tried to lift the vehicle off his daughter, but was unsuccessful, Undersheriff Ron Cranor said. Kickapoo Township Fire Department responded, and firefighters were able to get Shelbee out of the water roughly 15 minutes after the accident occurred, Cranor said.
She was taken by Leavenworth County Emergency Medical Services to Cushing Memorial Hospital, Leavenworth, where she was pronounced dead.
The death is being investigated as an accident. An autopsy is pending, Cranor said.
More like this story
- Kansas man driving combine leads law enforcement on chase
- Tonganoxie mural public forum set for Wednesday in council chambers
- Tonganoxie High girls track 2nd, boys 4th at Bobcat Relays
- Lawmakers advance abortion, election law tweaks on 100th day
- Kansas AG obtains order to protect funding for state courts