K-32 head-on collision leaves De Soto man in critical condition
A head-on collision Tuesday in southeast Leavenworth County sent two people to an area hospital, one of whom was in critical condition Tuesday evening.
The accident occurred just after 8:30 a.m. Tuesday on Kansas Highway 32 and 153rd Street about three miles west of Bonner Springs.
Steven C. Hanis, 19, Bonner Springs, was driving west on K-32 when his 1996 Pontiac passenger car left the road to the north. He over corrected and his vehicle entered the oncoming lane on the two-lane highway, striking head-on a 1996 Nissan truck driven by Gerald L. McNemee, 52, De Soto, according to Kansas Highway Patrol reports.
Both were wearing their seat belts, reports said. They were taken to Overland Park Regional Medical Center where McNemee was listed in critical condition Tuesday evening, a hospital official there said. Hanis was treated and released earlier in the day.
More like this story
- Kansas lawmakers seek classroom tweaks in school budget row
- Kansas bill would require parental consent for sex education
- Kansas City Connection: A new home for Halls
- Kansas considers changes to policies for state workers
- Linenberger: Brownback's decision on LGBT protections should trigger public action