Man who escaped from Lansing in April still free
Lansing A child sex offender who escaped from Lansing Correctional Facility on April 18 is still eluding authorities.
State prison officials said in a news release Friday that 59-year-old Gary Leslie Furthmyer is believed to be in the downtown Kansas City, Mo., area. Possible sightings have been reported at Kansas City homeless shelters.
Furthmyer escaped from his minimum security assignment at a steam plant at the Lansing prison. He was serving a six- to 25-year sentence out of Sedgwick County for indecent liberties with a child and aggravated failure to appear.
Furthmyer is 5-foot-9 and 185 lbs, with brown hair and blue eyes. He also uses the alias of Frank Schell.
Officials say it's possible he has grown his hair and has additional facial hair.
More like this story
- Kansas City Connection: Banjos and beignets
- Kansas City Connection: Farm-fresh flavor; Floyd’s ‘Dark Side’
- Kansas City Connection: Ugly sweaters, Legos for adults and KU basketball at the Sprint Center
- Kansas City Connection: Sushi and Sufjan
- Kansas City Connection: Record Store Day, Malcolm Gladwell and Third Thursday