MHS baseball season ends with loss to Wellsville
The McLouth High baseball team got the start it was looking for, but couldn't quite seal the deal in a 7-6 loss to second-seeded Wellsville Tuesday in regional semifinal action at Riverside High School.
"(Wellsville) had some timely hitting, but we played really well," coach Kevin Stewart said. "It was probably the best game we've played all year."
The Bulldogs (11-11) jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the first inning and added another run in the fifth, but the Eagles (14-7) exploded for six runs in the final three frames to avoid the upset. MHS tied things up at 6-6 with a run in the top of the seventh, but Wellsville ended the game with a run in the home half of the inning.
MHS pitcher Matt Zule allowed four earned runs over 6.1 innings in Tuesday's loss.
"(Zule) threw a lot of strikes and got ahead in the count," coach Kevin Stewart said. "He gave us a really good shot at winning. We were really happy with his performance."
Score by inning
MHS 400 010 1 — 6
WHS 000 015 1 — 7
More like this story
- Face to Face: New Tonganoxie Public Libary board member Loralee Stevens
- Some Tonganoxie residents unhappy with roaming buffalo
- Antler broker flourishes in his Delphos business
- Five killed in shooting spree that began at Kansas City home
- Former Johnson County election commissioner slammed in ethics audit