Tonganoxie minister discusses true heroes at Memorial Day Weekend ceremony
Rev. Mike Bronson mentioned the importance of heroes at Sunday’s Memorial Day Weekend ceremony at VFW Park in Tonganoxie.
“I don’t use that word lightly,” Bronson said.
The West Haven Baptist Church minister said true heroes are those who serve our country. He said the word is used loosely these days to also define celebrities and athletes. He said heroism should be judged by military service “not performances on a ball field.”
He spoke about his belief in American exceptionalism and that God created America “to bless the rest of the world.”
He noted that even in war, the United States has done its part to rebuild countries of past enemies, such as Germany and Vietnam. And though he himself did not serve in the military, he spoke about how thankful he was for others to serve the country and protect citizens’ freedoms.
The ceremony, which drew about 35 people to the park, finished with VFW Post 9271 conducting a gun salute and the playing of “Taps.”
More like this story
- Kansas lawmakers consider measure to require parental consent for sex ed
- Changes in funding could change online offerings in Kansas
- Kansas lawmakers seek classroom tweaks in school budget row
- Tonganoxie USD 464 candidate questionnaire: Diane Truesdell
- Local attorney faces incumbent in school board race