Tonganoxie man wins $20,000 on what would have been late wife’s birthday
It's been a difficult year for Robert Sanderson and his family, but Nov. 21 was a special day.
Sanderson's wife of 32 years, Evelyn, died last month after a long illness. But what happened on Nov. 21, which would have been Evelyn's 71st birthday, makes Sanderson wonder whether his wife is still looking out for him.
"I bought two $2 Bonus Crosswords at the store at 5 a.m. that morning and took them home to scratch off," Sanderson explained. "I was excited because I thought I'd won $2,000 on one of them. It wasn't until I got to the Lottery office that I found out I'd really won $20,000.
"I have to give my wife some credit for that. It's a good thing to happen after all the stress and sadness of the past year."
Sanderson has been retired since 2004 and says he will use the prize money to have some work done on his car and save the rest.
The lucky $20,000 Bonus Crossword ticket was purchased at Fastrax, 420 Stonecreek Drive in Tonganoxie.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie Easter egg hunt today in Chieftain Park
- Residents brave elements for Tonganoxie Recreation Commission Easter Egg Hunt
- Kansas City Connection: Library activities go way beyond books
- Linwood News: Easter Egg Hunt; bath products; Easter baskets; storm chasers
- Hunt for pastel April in Tonganoxie