THS volleyball sweeps Rams, sets sights on Rossville tourney
The Tonganoxie High volleyball team got back into the win column Thursday with a non-league victory at Pleasant Ridge near Easton. The Chieftains (4-2) defeated the Rams in straight sets, 25-9, 25-21 and 25-11.
Senior Jenny Whitledge recorded a team-high 14 kills, giving her 94 on the season. Fellow senior Madee Walker led THS will 10 digs and freshman Kaitlin Hall added six service aces.
The Chieftains will get their first taste of tournament action Saturday at the Rossville Invitational. The 12-team field is broken into three pools. THS is in a pool with Circle High School (Towanda), Ottawa and Clay Center. The Chieftains will open play at 9 a.m. against Ottawa, then face each team in their pool throughout the day.
The top eight teams in pool play will advance to single elimination bracket play, while the bottom four will play one additional match. Other teams in the tournament field are host school Rossville, De Soto, Royal Valley, Holton, Wamego, El Dorado, Sacred Heart and Oskaloosa.
More like this story
- Woman gets 21 months in prison for hiring illegal workers
- Kansas considers changes to policies for state workers
- Governor creates Social Services Policy Council
- State board told Attorney General's office can't advise it
- Linenberger: Brownback's decision on LGBT protections should trigger public action