Chieftain soccer blanks Maranatha for eighth straight win
Five players score in shutout victory
The Tonganoxie High soccer team extended its win streak to eight games on Friday with a 5-0 victory against Maranatha Academy at Rockhurst University in Kansas City, Mo.
Senior Matt Saathoff opened scoring just 27 seconds into the first half with his 13th goal of the season. Fellow senior John Lean then found the net for the first time this year to give THS (8-1) a 2-0 lead at the break.
Junior Evan Stilgenbauer scored from 40 yards out in the second half, then sophomore Asher Huseman made it 4-0 Chieftains with his ninth goal of the year. Freshman Tyler Novotney wrapped up scoring with the first goal of his career.
Senior Keaton Truesdell and freshman Alex Kroll both saw time at goalkeeper and teamed up to give THS its third shutout of the season.
The Chieftains will be back on the field Monday when they play host to Eudora. They handed the Cardinals a 7-0 defeat last season.
More like this story
- Kansas committee review bill to boost tobacco, alcohol taxes
- Tonganoxie City Council to consider police station, other facilities
- Proposal to hike ag land taxes spawns backlash from Kansas farmers
- Top Kansas GOP lawmakers to unveil school funding proposal
- Kansas governor talks tax policy with Missouri lawmakers