Chieftain soccer blanks Maranatha for eighth straight win
Five players score in shutout victory
The Tonganoxie High soccer team extended its win streak to eight games on Friday with a 5-0 victory against Maranatha Academy at Rockhurst University in Kansas City, Mo.
Senior Matt Saathoff opened scoring just 27 seconds into the first half with his 13th goal of the season. Fellow senior John Lean then found the net for the first time this year to give THS (8-1) a 2-0 lead at the break.
Junior Evan Stilgenbauer scored from 40 yards out in the second half, then sophomore Asher Huseman made it 4-0 Chieftains with his ninth goal of the year. Freshman Tyler Novotney wrapped up scoring with the first goal of his career.
Senior Keaton Truesdell and freshman Alex Kroll both saw time at goalkeeper and teamed up to give THS its third shutout of the season.
The Chieftains will be back on the field Monday when they play host to Eudora. They handed the Cardinals a 7-0 defeat last season.
More like this story
- First land bank lots from Fort Riley overbuilding to be sold
- Tonganoxie sales tax mail-in ballot question coming this winter
- Kansas schools, colleges, hospitals would feel sting of cuts
- Kansas House approves bill revising land annexation process
- HHS says cost of 'silver' health plans to rise in Kansas