THS golfers finish seventh at Lansing
Three Chieftains make varsity debuts
The Tonganoxie High golf team sent a split squad to Monday's Lansing Invitational, and the team finished seventh with a team score of 365 at Leavenworth Country Club.
Seniors Zack Tallent and Conner Kietzmann each shot 90 to lead the Chieftains. Tallent occupied the team's top varsity spot, while Kietzmann was the No. 3 golfer. Junior Austin Harris shot a 94 in the No. 2 spot.
Juniors Nathaniel Laundy and Isaac Jones and sophomore Ben Clark each made their varsity debuts. Laundy finished with a 91, Clark shot a 98 and Jones rounded out team scoring with a 114.
Reigning Class 4A state champion Piper won the tournament with a 307, finishing 10 strokes ahead of second-place finisher Topeka-Hayden.
THS will return to the course at 3 p.m. Monday at the Hayden Invitational in Topeka. The team finished sixth at last year's tournament at Cypress Ridge Golf Course.
Overall team results
- Piper, 307; 2. Hayden, 317; 3. Bonner Springs, 322; 4. Mill Valley, 326; 5. Lansing, 341; 6. De Soto, 352; 7. Tonganoxie, 365; 8. Basehor-Linwood, 371.
More like this story
- Report: Nearly 1 in 3 young U.S. adults too fat for military
- Kansas lawmakers' tax plan makes numerous policy changes
- First land bank lots from Fort Riley overbuilding to be sold
- Kansas House soundly rejects plan to avert steep budget cuts
- Kansas City Connection: Grinders Pizza and Celebration at the Station