THS golfers find success in Cheney
The Tonganoxie High golf team shot its lowest team score of the season Friday at the Wichita Collegiate Invitational, but a talented field kept the Chieftains out of the top five.
THS finished sixth with a score of 330 at Cherry Oaks Golf Course in Cheney. The Chieftains finished nine strokes behind Kapaun Mt. Carmel, Wichita Collegiate and Piper. A tiebreaker gave Kapaun the team title.
Senior Aaron Williams and junior Drew Sandburg enjoyed arguably their best matches of the season with season-low scores of 78. They finished eighth and ninth, respectively.
Seniors Tyler Hall and Conner Kietzmann each finished with scores of 87, while junior Austin Harris and senior Zack Tallent wrapped up the Chieftains’ day with scores of 95.
The tournament was the second in as many days for THS, which took second Thursday at the Spring Hill Invitational with a score of 332. Sandburg, Williams, Hall and Kietzmann all finished with scores of 83 and placed in the top-15 individually.
The Chieftains will return to the course at 1 p.m. Thursday at the Atchison Invitational. The tournament will take place at Bellevue Country Club.
Overall team results
- Kapaun Mt. Carmel, 321; 2. Wichita Collegiate, 321; 3. Piper, 321; 4. Wellington, 327; 5. Buhler, 328; 6. Tonganoxie, 330; 7. Hesston, 332; 8. Andover, 333; 9. Augusta, 335; 10. Valley Center, 339; 11. Eisenhower, 343; 12. Trinity, 346; 13. Rose Hill, 374; 14. Andover Central, 402.
Top 10 individual results
- Logan Woodbridge (WEL), 74; 2. Kesten Trebbe (AUG), 75; 3. Alan Joyal (VC), 76; 4. Chad Phillips (AND), 77; 5. Tyler Heimerman (BUH), 77; 6. Eric Pahls (PIP), 78; 7. Camron Chugg (COL), 78; 8. Aaron Williams (TON), 78; 9. Drew Sandburg (TON), 78; 10. Charlie Rinehart (PIP), 79.
More like this story
- Douglas County Fair returns July 24 with new theme, kiddie derby
- Kansas court's approval of death sentence not seen as shift
- Kansas City Connection: 'Christmas Cheer' from a new 'Nutcracker' to Charles Dickens
- Kansas ranks low in providing summer meals to children
- Kansas City Connection: Dance festival, Big Picnic, Van Halen make braving summer heat worth it