Weather a plus at this year’s fair, board president says
Mud run next month
• The Leavenworth County Fair Mud Run will start at 1 p.m. Sept. 21, at the fairgrounds.
• The event had been scheduled each year as an evening attraction during the fair, but fair organizers scheduled it for an afternoon start after the fair this year because it has run into in the early morning hours in recent years.
Temperatures weren’t in the triple digits for this year’s Leavenworth County Fair, and that might have helped with attendance.
“The crowd was up every night I think,” said Mike Johnson, fair board president. “The parking was up. It was a good fair. I think everybody enjoyed it. It wasn’t 105 (degrees) like the last two years. I think most people enjoyed the weather as well.”
The Leavenworth County Fair generally has started in August, but the fair board moved the event up a week to accommodate the carnival company’s schedule and offer a little more distance from the start of the school year.
There were a few other changes this year, including the Fair Association running Friday’s livestock auction. Previously the 4-H Research and Extension Office administered the event.
“I think we still need to do some changes with our auction,” Johnson said. “It was still pretty slow.
“Hopefully we can get sped up in the long run. When you first take something over, you always have ups and downs.”
Though the fair officially ended over the weekend, there is another event planned. The mud run will be 1 p.m. Sept. 21, at the Leavenworth County Fairgrounds.
Next year’s fair is planned for July 29-Aug. 2, 2014.
The demolition derby returned to its regular time slot of Saturday night this year, replacing the mud run, which had been finishing up in the early morning.
Though the rain overall seemed to be welcomed, it did cancel the Hot Rod Garden Tractors event on July 31.
“I think as a whole, we got by pretty good,” Johnson said.
More like this story
- SALINA SEQUEL: Tonganoxie volleyball handles BLHS, clinches second straight state appearance
- McLouth HIgh baseball team sweeps Immaculata in doubleheader
- Tonganoxie boys' shots at victory just miss mark
- McLouth baseball sweeps Nebraska team in opening doubleheader
- Record-breaking end to regular season for Tonganoxie High girls