Remember When: A community review of Tonganoxie
A new map
10 years ago: July 30, 2003
Deaths: Rupert Gabriel Bass, 94, Overland Park, died July 25, 2003; Jerry Leon Racer, 59, Tonganoxie, died July 22, 2003, at his home.
Linwood revives pioneer festival (Captions under pictures): Carrie Gast, 2, drops candy in her sack during Saturday’s parade at Linwood; Maggie Stiltner checks on her winnings at the duck pond; Lions Club members kept a bonfire going all day to provide coals to cook chicken; Stuart Sweeney, Linwood Lions Club member, turns chicken halves at the barbecue with help from his son, Jacob; and J.W. Evans, Tonganoxie, smiles as he accepts a gooseberry pie from Robin Hilt, one of the organizers of the festival. Evans was high bidder on the gooseberry pie.
Births: Matt and LeAnn Bond, Tonganoxie, a son, Dallas William, born June 3, 2003; Emily Putthoff, Tonganoxie, a daughter, Rylie Ann, born June 14, 2003; Jason and Jennifer Chambers, Tonganoxie, a daughter, Kristi Kathleen, born July 2, 2003; Russell and Jodi Ehart, rural McLouth and rural Remsen, N.Y., a daughter, Railey Ann, born July 2, 2003
25 years ago: July 20, 1988
The Tonganoxie Cemetery, more commonly known as Hubbel Hill Cemetery, is located a short distance west of Tonganoxie on top of a high hill overlooking the beautiful and pleasant town named in honor of an old Delaware Indian Chief. James McKeehen and his wife, Catherine McKeehen, are buried on the land they once owned and donated for use of citizens in the community as a burying ground. It is believed that the oldest marked grave is that of Alida Collins, wife of Charles Collins, who died May 20, 1868. That is followed by Cora Collins, Aug. 20, 1868, and Eliza, daughter of Robert and R. Orr, Oct. 8, 1868. In the early days, records were not always kept, and as a result, many graves were lost, people buried two-deep, and it was not uncommon to strike a rough box when digging a new grave. In 1889, the Tonganoxie Cemetery was dedicated (Article continued with further information.).
Deaths: Esther L. Swenson, 66, Tonganoxie, died July 14, 1988; William J. Martinez, 71, Tonganoxie, died July 14, 1988.
A reunion took place at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Dean Wensel on July 9, 1988.
50 years ago: Aug. 8, 1963
Birth: Mr. and Mrs. Max Dick, Topeka, a daughter, Lisa Lynne, born Aug. 2, 1963.
Jack David Rose of Tonganoxie has been awarded the George Mackay and Daughter scholarships totaling more than $400 at Kansas State University in Manhattan.
Deaths: Mrs. Hazel Harrod, Omaha, Neb., died Aug. 4, 1963; Arthur W. Belt, 69, died Saturday at his home in Lawrence; Ray S. Davis, formerly of the Reno area, died Aug. 1 at Fullerton, Calif. His family was among the first settlers in the 1860s; Mrs. Sarah A. Cline, 86, Linwood, died Aug. 7, 1963; Dexter Everett Wiley, 87, Tonganoxie, died August 3, 1963, at the home of his daughter, Mrs. George McBroom.
Linwood: Robert DeShazer, son of Mr. and Mrs. John DeShazer, underwent open-heart surgery last week in Kansas City. The family is asking for persons to donate blood to the community blood bank, and be sure to state they are giving blood for Robert DeShazer. Thirty-five pints are needed.
75 years ago: July 14, 1938
Don Davis’ contribution to the “It Happened in Kansas” cartoon last week is interesting, but slightly inaccurate, according to Mirror archives. It was a rooster instead of a hen that got stuck in the mud on Fourth Street, which affected a subsequent bond election for paving the street back in 1914.
A.J. Southard, 80, died Tuesday at his home 4 miles north of Tonganoxie on the farm where he had resided for 60 years.
Mr. and Mrs. Dean Freeman are the parents of a daughter, born June 30.
From “It Happened in Kansas” by F.A. Cooper: Although Mrs. A.B. Saathoff has lived on the same state-line farm in Marshall County since 1883, she once cooked breakfast in Kansas, dinner in Nebraska and supper in Kansas without leaving her house. This occurred when the house passed through Nebraska while being moved to a new location on the farm … Scout’s Rest: A tomb built entirely by hand by Charlie Crosson, a Spanish American War veteran, sits on a high hill near Minneapolis. He has spent three years building the tomb and plans to be buried in the cement and brick vault sunk in solid rock.
100 years ago: July 24, 1913
A cement curbing has been put in on the east side of the Golding store.
The city council has ordered in a sidewalk on the east side of Main Street from Fourth Street to Hamilton’s Barn.
A girl arrived at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Jas. McNulty Jr., west of town last Saturday, so Dr. Coe says.
Henry Geib has reconsidered his intention of moving to California and has concluded to stay in Tonganoxie.
That many Leavenworth people are not educated to the many ways water is used was made apparent here recently by the following incident: A Leavenworth young lady had come out for a visit. On being shown where the bathroom was in the house of her hostess, she expressed her thanks and apologized for not being able to use it because she had no bathing suit.
Dr. Slaughter found the stork at the home of Ed Eibes 4 miles east Saturday, and at the home of George Weaver Sunday near Reno. There are new boys in both places.
Douglas County voted $200,000 bonds for a new cement bridge across the Kaw at Lawrence to replace the steel bridge built 40 years ago. The new bridge is to be longer than the old.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie box social proves to be lucrative fundraiser
- Dedication, open house Saturday at new Tonganoxie Elementary School
- Tonganoxie youth remembered for 'lighting up a room'
- 'Cinderella' to be staged this month at Tonganoxie Performing Arts Center
- Police were on scene when Tonganoxie principal left campus; sheriff's office conducting investigation