Tonganoxie High School graduate receives $1,000 scholarship from Kohl’s
Kohl’s Department Stores have awarded a Tonganoxie High School graduate a $1,000 scholarship.
Tyler O’Briant, 18, Tonganoxie, earned one of 200 scholarships nationwide for his volunteer work.
After spending more than three semesters of high school in and out of Children’s Mercy Hospital battling chronic bacterial and viral infections, O’Briant decided to host a book drive and fundraiser that raised more than $1,150 to purchase books and e-readers for the clinic waiting rooms so young patients could have hundreds of books at their fingertips while in the hospital.
One other area youth, Sierra Adams, 11, Leawood, was selected for the scholarship.
Each regional winner qualifies for one of Kohl’s 10 national scholarships, which will be announced at the end of July. Each of those scholarships are worth $10,000.
More like this story
- Clean sweep again for Tonganoxie High cross country
- On course for THS: Tonganoxie cross country teams win home meet, take 5th at Rim Rock Classic
- Lansing sinks Tonganoxie soccer with overtime goal
- Tonganoxie High, McLouth open spring sports seasons
- Tonganoxie High athletics sweeps competitions for the week