Soccer scores OT win on senior day
The Tonganoxie High girls soccer team pushed its win streak to three games Wednesday against KC Christian, handing the Panthers a 3-2 overtime loss on senior day.
THS (6-7) found itself on the wrong side of a 2-0 score shortly after halftime, but cut the deficit in half on a long goal by junior Madison Simmons. Freshman Mackenzie Price evened the score with a goal midway through the second half, and neither team found the net again before regulation.
The Chieftains sealed the win with less than a minute left in overtime when junior Emily Soetaert found fellow junior Taylar Morgan for the game-winner.
"We've seemed fatigued the last two days," coach Justin Seever said. "We played that way in the first half, then the light came on. That game could have gone either way. It was definitely a huge win on senior day."
Seever's squad will try to end the regular season with a .500 record when it hosts Heritage Christian Academy at 4 p.m. Thursday.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie Chieftain athletes among best in area
- Scrimmages, introductions to showcase many Tonganoxie High teams tonight
- Fall sports start Monday with midnight practices in Tonganoxie
- League meetings appoaching for Tonganoxie
- Chieftain softball lands 2 Tonganoxie players on Lawrence Journal-World All-Area Team