Officials offer safety tips for severe storm season
In the middle of severe weather season, state and local officials are reminding residents to review tornado safety techniques and prepare in advance. To keep safe before or during severe weather, follow these tips:
• Develop a plan of action for your family before a storm hits. Make sure everyone knows where to go and what to do when they hear sirens, and practice it.
• Assemble a disaster supplies kit with food, water, flashlights and other important survival supplies.
• Have a NOAA Weather Radio with an alarm tone.
• If planning a trip outdoors, listen to forecasts.
• If a warning is issued, or threatening weather approaches, remember to DUCK: down to the lowest level, under something sturdy, cover your head, keep in the shelter until the storm passes.
• Stay away from the windows.
For more information on how to prepare your family and home for a tornado, visit redcross.org.
More like this story
- Longtime educator, coach settles in as Tonganoxie High AD
- Tonganoxie Hall of Fame class recognized Friday at Myers Hotel
- More Kansas teachers leaving state, retiring
- Creating a family: Agency seeks more foster families; greatest need in Wyandotte County
- Brownback urges schools to move more money into classrooms