Archive for Thursday, October 10, 2013

THS soccer falls to Ward in 2OT

Ben Edmonds and the Tonganoxie High soccer team suffered a 2-1, double-overtime loss Thursday at Bishop Ward.

Ben Edmonds and the Tonganoxie High soccer team suffered a 2-1, double-overtime loss Thursday at Bishop Ward.

October 10, 2013, 10:34 p.m.

Updated: October 11, 2013, 12:37 p.m.

Ward 2, THS 1 (2OT)

First half scoring


Second half scoring

Teo Sudasic (BW), 36:24

Asher Huseman (TON), 1:49

First OT scoring


Second OT scoring

Sudasic (BW), 6:59

— In the 93rd minute of game time Thursday at Bishop Ward, the Tonganoxie High soccer team lost its captain. Less than 30 seconds later, it lost the game.

THS got a late score to force overtime and the game later went to a second extra period, but a Cyclone goal with 6:59 remaining sent the Chieftains home with a 2-1 loss.

Following a scoreless first overtime, teams traded possession in the second 10-minute period. Chieftain senior Evan Stilgenbauer went down after taking a foot to the shin with 7:27 remaining and had to be helped off the field.

When play resumed, Ward took the ball down the field and got a shot attempt in front of the Chieftain goal. The ball was deflected, drawing goalkeeper Alex Kroll out of the net, but the ball bounced right to Ward's Teo Subasic, who headed it in for the game-winner with 6:59 left.

Despite giving up a pair of scores in the loss, Kroll enjoyed a solid game, recording several key saves in regulation and both overtimes.

"I thought (Alex Kroll) played very well, but like always, the goalie is going to get blamed for the loss," coach Brian Kroll said. "The goalie makes one or two mistakes, and that's what gets blamed for the loss."

After trailing by a goal for nearly the entire second half, THS (3-9, 0-6 Kaw Valley League) got an opportunity to tie things up when Stilgenbauer was held in the box with less than two minutes left in regulation. Asher Huseman took the subsequent penalty kick and fired a shot by goalkeeper Luis Villarreal with just 1:49 left on the clock.

Huseman's goal — his team-best 11th of the season — answered a score by Subasic, who headed a pass from the sideline into the net less than four minutes into the second half. The Chieftains created several scoring opportunities late in the second half after Ward controlled possession early in the game.

"I think they just decided they wanted it," Brian Kroll said of the late surge.

THS struggled to find scoring chances before halftime. The Chieftains' best shot came early on when Tyler Novotney crossed a ball to Huseman, but Huseman's came up wide. Opportunities were more frequent in the second half, but until Huseman's penalty kick, nobody could cash in.

Both team's keepers came up with key saves in the second half. Arguably Villarreal's best stop came when he corralled a header by Jay Willcutt with 17:10 remaining.

Before the start of the varsity game, the THS junior varsity picked up a 2-0 win — it's fourth victory in as many games. The JV squad is now 6-4-2 on the season.

THS has three games left before the start of regional play, but could play four if a Sept. 19 rainout against Piper is rescheduled. The Chieftains will travel Tuesday to Maur Hill-Mount Academy.

"At this point, we just need to come together as a team and start developing the chemistry that we need," Brian Kroll said. "If that doesn't happen, it won't matter where we end up at regionals."


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.