THS freshman suffers minor injuries during parade
A Tonganoxie High School girl was taken to the hospital during the THS homecoming parade Friday afternoon after being run over by the Class of 2017 float, police say.
Tonganoxie police Chief Jeff Brandau said the freshman girl Bailey Whitson, 15, Tonganoxie, jumped from the freshman class’ float to give candy to some children on the side of East Fourth Street when she fell under the trailer being pulled by a black pickup truck. The trailer, Brandau said, ran over the girl’s right thigh.
Brandau said Whitson stood up after being run over but then fainted for unknown reasons. Emergency medical responders treated the girl at the scene before the girl’s mother took her to an area hospital, Brandau said.
“We only anticipate minor injuries at this point,” Brandau said, adding that she was able to walk to her car.
The parade, which began at 2 p.m., continued without delay following the accident.
More like this story
- Free cancer screening to be offered May 30 in Tonganoxie
- Tonganoxie High School to perform 'The Odd Couple'
- Great Midwest Balloon Fest looks for great weather this weekend
- Kansas City Connection: The return of the Royals, and showtime for Middle of the Map
- Tonganoxie High to stage 'Twelve Angry Jurors' for final night tonight