THS soccer drops opener vs. Baldwin
The Tonganoxie High soccer team couldn't come up with a win in its season opener, but the new-look Chieftains showed plenty of promise in Friday's 5-3 loss to Baldwin at Chieftain Park.
THS (0-1) found itself on the wrong side of a 4-1 score in the second half, but juniors Asher Huseman and Colten Weaver each found the net to make it a one-goal game. Huseman, who scored the team's only first-half goal, hit paydirt again after halftime to make it 4-2, then Weaver scored to pull THS within one.
Huseman had a chance to tie the game with a penalty kick later in the period, but his shot was blocked. Baldwin added a fifth goal for some breathing room down the stretch.
Sophomore Tyler Novotney also played a role in the THS offense with assists on two of the team's three goals.
The Chieftains will continue their three-game homestand Tuesday when they welcome Kaw Valley League opponent Bonner Springs to town. The junior varsity squads will start things off at 4:30 p.m. and the varsity game will immediately follow. THS defeated the Braves in overtime last season, 2-1.
More like this story
- Wyandotte County Fair schedule of events
- Tonganoxie City Fire Department fire calls, April 13-May 3, 2015
- Summer in Tonganoxie: Library offers special themes for programs
- Tonganoxie Public Library kicks off summer reading program
- Tonganoxie Days returning with run milestone, more attractions in festival area