Chieftain track and field competes at Lansing
The Tonganoxie High track and field team was back in action Tuesday at the Lansing Invitational. The Chieftain boys came in fifth out of 10 teams with 52 points, while the girls finished 10th with four points.
Senior Ben Johnson won three individual titles in his first meet of the season. He claimed gold in the 110-meter hurdles, crossing the finish line in 15.32 seconds, and also won the high jump (5 feet, 10 inches) and triple jump (41-4.5). Fellow senior Cole Holloway finished third in the 200-meter dash and 400-meter run, and junior Garrett French took third in the 3,200-meter run.
Sophomore Allison Hurla was the only THS girl to place individually, coming in third in the high jump.
Atchison won the girls team title with 127 points, while AHS and Maranatha Academy tied for the boys title with 98 points each. The Chieftains will return to competition at 4 p.m. today at Basehor-Linwood. The field is comprised of host school BLHS, Bishop Ward, Bonner Springs, Perry-Lecompton, Piper, Pleasant Ridge, Sumner Academy and Turner.
Girls team results
- Atchison, 127; 2. Lansing, 107; 3. St. James Academy, 84; 4. Pleasant Ridge, 59; 5. Maranatha Academy, 56; 6. Leavenworth-Immaculata, 35; 7. Basehor-Linwood, 28; 8. Piper, 22; 9. Mill Valley, 18; 10. Tonganoxie, 4.
THS individual placers
Third place: Allison Hurla, high jump (4-0).
Boys team results
T1. Maranatha Academy, 98; T1. Atchison, 98; 3. Piper, 75; 4. Lansing, 64; 5. Tonganoxie, 52; 6. St. James Academy, 49; 7. Mill Valley, 47; 8. Pleasant Ridge, 41; 9. Basehor-Linwood, 27.5; 10. Leavenworth-Immaculata, 4.
THS individual placers
First place: Ben Johnson, 110-meter hurdles (15.32), high jump (5-10), triple jump (41-4.5).
Third place: Cole Holloway, 200-meter dash (24.25), 400-meter run (56.39); Garrett French, 3,200-meter run (11:02.49).
Fourth place: Brad Andrews, pole vault (10-6).
More like this story
- Weller remembered for 'biggest and most kind heart'
- Tonganoxie USD 464 receives one bid for former elementary school
- Tonganoxie wrestlers ready to return to mat; postseason sites announced
- Area communities offering wide array of holiday activities
- Tonganoxie bids farewell to Class of 2016 with Saturday graduation