Chieftain golf finishes 5th at Lansing Invitational
A pair of top-10 individual finished powered the Tonganoxie High golf team to a fifth-place team finish Monday at the Lansing Invitational.
Senior Drew Sandburg came in third with a 74 and freshman Matt Scharff took seventh with a career-low 78 at Leavenworth Country Club.
The remaining four Chieftains finished within six strokes of each other. Nathaniel Laundy carded a 97, Ben Lanza came in next with a 98 and Isaac Jones and Heath Martin rounded out THS scoring with marks of 101 and 103, respectively.
As a team, the Chieftains finished with a score of 347, shaving 18 strokes off their performance at last year’s tournament. They tied with Bonner Springs and host school Lansing, but took third among those teams in a tiebreaker. Mill Valley won the team title with a score of 312.
Piper’s Alec Wuellner and Eric Pahls tied for the individual title with identical scores of 72, but Wuellner took the top spot in a scorecard playoff.
THS will travel Thursday to Atchison for the Atchison Invitational at Bellevue Country Club, then head Friday to Spring Hill for a makeup of the Spring Hill Invite at Sycamore Ridge Golf Course.
Overall team results
- Mill Valley, 312; 2. Piper, 319; 3. Lansing, 347; 4. Bonner Springs, 347; 5. Tonganoxie, 347; 6. Basehor-Linwood, 396; 7. Lansing JV, 449; 8. Royal Valley, 490.
More like this story
- Former Shawnee music teacher charged with molestation missing from house arrest
- Slide in Kansas oil industry continues to stress producers
- Kansas House panel to consider consumption tax increases
- Klemp back on Leavenworth County Commission with appointment
- Atchison thwarts Tonganoxie High volleyball push for another state berth