Tonganoxie VFW honors THS and TMS essay winners
Veterans of Foreign Wars Tonganoxie Post 9271 honored essay winners with a pizza party last month.
The nationwide VFW contests are the Patriot’s Pen for the middle school and Voice of Democracy for the high school level.
This year’s theme for the Patriot’s Pen contest was “What Patriotism Means to Me.”
Blake Thomas took first place, while Zeb Huseman placed second and Mariah Dohle third.
Students who participated in the Voice of Democracy Contest had the theme “Why I’m Optimistic About our Nation’s Future.”
Hadley DeHoff placed first, Christian Grube second and Grace Reilly third.
The VFW Post also honored TMS middle school teacher Debbie Holloway as its teacher of the year.
Teachers Kathy Nolan, Kim Woodall and Lee Mielke also were recognized.
More like this story
- Avian flu case confirmed in Leavenworth County
- State creates quarantine zone for bird flu in rural Leavenworth, Wyandotte counties
- Kansas university finds creative way to test drones outside
- Tonganoxie Mayor candidate questionnaire: Bill Peak
- Wheat harvest activity spreads across Kansas as fields dry