Wind chill warnings in effect throughout area
Wind chill numbers are expected to dip well below zero overnight in the area, creating potential life-threatening conditions for anyone exposed to the weather.
The National Weather Service has issued a wind chill warning for Leavenworth County beginning at 6 p.m. and continuing through noon Monday.
According to the National Weather Service, the temperature tonight will dip to minus 10 degrees, with north winds of 15 to 25 mph and gusts of up to 30 mph causing wind chill values between minus 30 and minus 40.
On Monday, the predicted high is 4 degrees, with wind chill values between minus 21 and minus 31. Monday night may reach down to minus 2, with west winds creating wind chill values between minus 10 and minus 15.
The National Weather Service warns that prolonged exposure to these subzero temperatures may cause hypothermia. Frostbite may occur to exposed skin within a matter of minutes.
More like this story
- Winter storm warning gives way to blizzard warning
- Up to 10 inches of snow possible in Tonganoxie area; winter storm warning in effect though Monday
- Winter storm watch in effect early Monday morning through 6 a.m. Wednesday for area counties
- Tonganoxie residents, crews deal with sub-zero temperatures
- Tonganoxie USD 464 cancels Tuesday classes