Tonganoxie Dachshund wins Mirror’s Cutest Pet Contest
Shyanne Gergick’s family loves Dachshunds.
The Tonganoxie area resident said there are 10 in the family, as her cousins have a few of the breed and her immediate family has five.
The youngest is Charlie, a 3-month-old female Dachshund that Gergick takes everywhere. She’s a big fan of her Charlie — as are many Facebook users.
Charlie won last month’s Mirror Cutest Pet Contest that ran throughout June on The Mirror Facebook page.
Charlie’s photo — the pup was pictured in a rustic pot full of flowers — received 156 “likes” in the contest
She finished a few votes ahead of a miniature horse named George. The little horse garnered 139 likes.
Gergick said she had an impromptu photo shoot of Charlie with her cousin, noting that there were many photos from which to choose.
“Yes, she’s very photogenic,” Gergick said. “She’s like a little child.”
The Gergicks have three larger dogs along with their dachshunds — Macee 14, Louie and Lucy, both 7, and Ozzie, 2.
Wherever Gergick goes, Charlie likely is with her.
“I take her everywhere I go,” Gergick said, noting she eats in many patio areas at restaurants.
Even her first July 4 fireworks didn’t bother Charlie too much, Gergick said.
“She was a little scared,” Gergick said. “Overall, she ended up liking it. She wasn’t petrified running around everywhere.
“After awhile she just slept. She’s always sleeping.”
Charlie also likes to snuggle and chow down on dog treats and ice cream.
“She loves Sonic ice cream,” Gergick said.
Gergick joked that Charlie has an attitude and always looks up for the reward of a treat after the pup finishes her business outside.
One thing is for certain: Charlie likes to be close to Gergick.
“Oh my goodness, yes, she loves to cuddle,” Gergick said. “She loves everybody she meets too. It’s amazing.”
The contest brought in 75 entries: 59 dogs, 14 cats, a miniature horse and a Polish chicken.
The contest took place in June in an effort to raise awareness about National Pet Preparedness Month, which was last month.
According to the American Humane Association, there are 10 items people should pack in an emergency kit for their pets:
• Food (your pet’s regular food)
• Leash and collar
• Photo of your pet and a photo of you with your pet
• Medications your pet needs
• Immunization/vet records (keep both updated)
• Pet carrier
• First aid kit
• Contact list of pet-friendly hotels, veterinarians, American Red Cross, American Humane Association and out-of-town friends/family.
More like this story
- Face to Face: Tonganoxie reading specialist Janet Falk
- Tonganoxie City Council eyes former post office, to have public forum on police station July 13
- Tonganoxie City Council approves Mayor Ward's appointments
- Tonganoxie City Council hears preferences for new police station
- Tonganoxie City Council candidate questionnaire: Melynda Harbour