The family of Zelma Sanders extends our sincere appreciation for the various expressions of loving comfort we received from our friends, relatives and community. Thank you for your prayers, your friendship, flowers, food and donations to St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital, St. Luke’s Home Care and Hospice and McLouth First Baptist Church. We had no idea how many lives our mother had touched during her lifetime.
• A memorial service took place May 18 at the Wildhorse Cemetery. Tom Drake led the service. Those attending were Viola Edmonds; Bob and Alfreda Ryan; Margaret and Lloyd Smelser, and their sons, David, his wife, Jean, Allen, his wife, Nancy, and Rusty, all of McLouth; Carol Whitaker, Tonganoxie; and Kathel Dungan, Perry, her son, Mike, and his daughter, Irelynn, of Carterville, Ill. All were invited to the Ryans for ice cream after the service.
• Bob and Alfreda Ryan’s granddaughter, Shanna, married Justin Koerner on May 24. The bride was escorted down the aisle by her children, Jacie and Scott.
After the wedding, the Ryans hosted a family and friends baby back rib barbecue, cooked by their son-in-law, Derek Ong, with Alfreda’s homemade vanilla and walnut ice creams for dessert. Attending the barbecue were the Ryans’ daughters, Susan and Derek Ong, Susan’s daughter, Sammi Kay, and her fiancé, Mike, from Arizona; Kathel and Mike Dungan, from Perry, their sons, Mike, and his wife, Shawlyn, and their daughter, Irelynn, from Carterville, Ill.; Chris Dungan from North Carolina; Ed and Geri Mance, from Easton; and Ed and Jean Womack, their son, Paul, and his daughter, Katlyn, from Arizona.
• Rick and Beverly enjoyed a nice visit from Brian and Erin, Michael, Lily, and Elise Muzzy (their son’s family) from Georgetown, Texas.
• Get a dose of hometown goodness and family fun at the 23rd Annual McLouth BBQ Blowout and Kansas State Championship Saturday at Prairie Park in McLouth. Barbecue teams will compete for trophies, ribbons and prize money. This is a family and cooker friendly barbecue contest. We’ll have children’s rides, remote control airplanes, vendors and more. Concessions abound with breakfast (homemade pancakes, biscuits and gravy), homemade pies, etc. Samples are available from barbecue cookers before noon Saturday. The main judging will start at noon. This event is sanctioned by the Kansas City Barbecue Society.
• McLouth and the surrounding area will have many garage sales during BBQ Blowout Weekend.
• Descendants of George and Grace Tarr will gather for a covered dish noon meal Sunday at the Winchester Community Center. Please bring your photo albums and memories to share, and your table service.
— Please submit McLouth community information, announcements and upcoming events to Beverly Muzzy: firstname.lastname@example.org or 913-796-6935.
More like this story
- Leavenworth, Douglas county officials battle grass fires; Tonganoxie chief offers prevention tips
- MHS schools having sock drive for local churches
- Remember When: A Community Review for Jan. 24, 2018
- Scientists fly Kansas sky to study ferocious storms
- Operation WildLife overwhelmed after mild winter, recent storms