Earthquake shakes southern Kansas
The U.S. Geological Survey reports an earthquake shook southern Kansas.
The earthquake happened at 3:46 a.m. Sunday and measured 4.0 on the Richter scale. Its epicenter was reported eight miles east-northeast of Anthony in Harper County.
It was at least the second earthquake in a week in the area. On Wednesday, a quake rated 3.4 on the Richter scale was recorded 14 miles east-northeast of Anthony.
Gov. Sam Brownback last month asked the director of the Kansas Geological Survey to lead a task force that’ll study whether human activity is causing an increase in minor earthquakes in Kansas.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie City Fire Department fire calls, April 13-May 3, 2015
- Tonganoxie High schedule of events for state track
- Kansas City Connection: Don't be a stranger to this pie social
- Kansas City Connection: Banjos and beignets
- Kansas City Connection: The return of the Royals, and showtime for Middle of the Map