USD 464 releases instructional video for TES, TMS student dropoff and pickup procedures
The 2015-16 school year will be a whole new world for many students in Tonganoxie USD 464.
In addition to students getting familiar with the new state-of-the-art Tonganoxie Elementary School near Tonganoxie Middle School, parents and students must get acclimated to a new traffic pattern that includes vehicle flow of nine grade levels among two schools.
That’s kindergarten through fifth grade at the new TES and grades six through eight at TMS.
The previous building alignment was kindergarten through fourth grade at the former elementary school and fifth through eighth grades at TMS.
Parents wanting to get better acclimated to the new traffic pattern and drop-off routines can check out an informational video the school district created.
District officials stress that when students are dropped off and picked up, they should exit and enter the vehicle on the driver’s side. This is to help ensure students aren’t getting out of vehicles into exit lanes.
Here are some highlights of the drop-off and loading procedures at the elementary and middle schools:
- Traffic will enter the school campus from Washington Street. Traffic will head south on East Street to TES.
- Parents wanting to drop off students at the elementary school make their way to the main entrance on the east side of TES. Again, students are to exit and enter vehicles on the driver’s side.
- Parents then can exit the elementary school and head on to the middle school to drop off students there or turn right and head back toward East Street. Drivers can then make a left turn and head back out to Washington Street. Drivers heading onto TMS will then head to Washington Street along the TMS exit lanes.
- Parents with students in both the elementary school and middle school can drop off all children at the elementary school. TMS students can walk through the main hallway and out to a sidewalk that connects the two schools. The path is west of a gate that will separate family traffic and bus traffic. Adults will supervise the TES hallway before school. The district’s student resource officer also will be between the two schools monitoring traffic.
- When picking up students, parents must go in the same traffic pattern. Before picking up students at the main entrance, parents should hold up paper with their children’s last name. School officials will use radio devices to coordinate and have students ready at the main entrance.
Classes will begin with a half-day on Aug. 20. Classes will start at 8:55 a.m. and end at 11:55 a.m. It will be a regular full day of class Aug. 21, with classes starting at 8:55 a.m. and dismissal at 3:10 p.m.
Classes will start and end at the same time at both schools.
For more information about traffic patterns at the schools, check out the elementary school’s page at tong464.org. Written information and the instructional videos can be found there.
The TES main phone number is 913-416-1480 and the TMS main line is 913-416-1470.
More like this story
- Informational video helps understand traffic procedure at TES, TMS
- Tonganoxie USD 464 board discusses traffic issues at new school
- School getting started in Tonganoxie
- Tonganoxie USD 464 superintendent's contract extended through 2017
- Tonganoxie USD 464 canceling classes for tomorrow due to anticpated low wind chills; tournament expected to be played as scheduled