School getting started in Tonganoxie
Genesis Christian Academy started last week; USD 464 starts Thursday
The bustle of children heading to school already has started in Tonganoxie.
Genesis Christian Academy actually started classes Aug. 12, while Tonganoxie USD 464 will begin with a half-day of classes Thursday. Students at Tonganoxie Elementary School and Tonganoxie Middle School, along with freshmen at Tonganoxie High School, will attend classes Thursday. The first full day will be Friday, with all of the high school being in session along with its counterparts.
Motorists should be additionally cautious with the school year’s start, especially along Washington Street. GCA, TMS and now the new TES all are situated along Washington Street, so heavy traffic can be expected heading to and from those schools just between 7:30 a.m. and 8 a.m. and then around 3 p.m.
The timing is similar at THS.
With the former Tonganoxie Elementary School now empty, the speed humps along Fourth Street near the former school have been removed.
And, What once were one-way streets — southbound on Shawnee and northbound on Church — now are two-way streets.
Traffic is expected to be the heaviest near Main and Washington, as well as points east. Buses also will go in and out of an access road that connects the district grounds to 12th Street. Only buses and similar vehicles have access to the gated access road.
For more about the traffic patterns at TMS and TES, including informational videos, go to tong464.org.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie USD 464 board discusses traffic issues at new school
- USD 464 releases instructional video for TES, TMS student dropoff and pickup procedures
- Informational video helps understand traffic procedure at TES, TMS
- Tonganoxie USD 464 canceling classes for tomorrow due to anticpated low wind chills; tournament expected to be played as scheduled
- Tonganoxie USD 464, Genesis Christian Academy classes canceled again today due to inclement weather