Off-duty Shawnee firefighter administers CPR to 4-year-old at Tonganoxie Water Park
An off-duty firefighter provided CPR to a near-drowning 4-year-old Monday afternoon at Tonganoxie Water Park.
The child’s mother told police that she took another child to the park’s slide while family members watched her 4-year-old girl. She said she later noticed the child floating face down in the pool and pulled her out.
Spencer Rogers, an off-duty Shawnee firefighter, was at the Tonganoxie pool just before 3 p.m. when the incident occurred. He immediately started to administer CPR after the girl was pulled from the pool, reports said.
As Tonganoxie fire and Leavenworth County Emergency Medical Service officials were unloading equipment, the child coughed and threw up water. She started breathing, so they took her to the ambulance.
The child was crying and breathing well when EMS departed for an area hospital, according to reports.
More like this story
- Face to Face: Tonganoxie Fire Department's Ryan Bennett
- Face to Face: Tonganoxie reading specialist Janet Falk
- Tonganoxie City Council to consider police station, other facilities
- 15 things you might not know about Tonganoxie
- Tonganoxie St. Pat's Parade organizers working to bulk up annual spring event