Chieftain baseball finishes tourney on right foot
The Tonganoxie High baseball team finished out the Butch Foster Memorial Baseball Classic strong Saturday at CommunityAmerica Ballpark.
The Chieftains defeated Bonner Springs, 13-3, for seventh place at the annual tourney at the home of the Kansas City T-Bones. THS improved to 4-11 on the season, while BSHS fell to 3-14.
THS coach Mitch Loomis said his club bounced back well from Friday’s consolation bracket game in which Baldwin disposed of THS, 7-1.
In the first day of action Thursday, Tonganoxie put up a strong fight against eventual champion Paola. PHS won, 6-4, against the Chieftains.
Paola went on to defeat Holton, 7-3, Saturday night in the championship game. PHS (11-5) won its second straight Butch Foster Classic title.
Basehor-Linwood defeated Baldin, 3-0, Holton outlasted Spring Hill, 3-2, and Perry-Lecompton cruised past Bonner Springs, 7-2, in the other quarterfinal games.
Tonganoxie and Bonner Springs were supposed to play at noon Saturday in the seventh-place game, but the game was moved to 5 p.m. Basehor-Linwood and Perry-Lecompton were set to play at the later time slot, but the games were switched so that BLHS baseball players could attend their prom.
Tonganoxie’s bats were lively in the game against Bonner Springs. THS catcher Billy Kelley was perfect at the plate. THS third baseman Thomas Minor hit a shot off the wall in left field, but the BSHS pitcher was called for a balk before the pitch was thrown.
THS played Monday at Lansing and will finish up its game against Bishop Ward at 5 p.m. today in Kansas City, Kan. The game will resume in the top of the eighth and the teams tied, 6-6. The game was suspended due to darkness earlier this season.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie baseball getting ready for Butch Foster Classic at CommunityAmerica Ballpark
- Tonganoxie tough at Butch Foster Memorial Baseball Classic, reaches title game for first time in school history
- THS golf finishes 4th at Hayden Invitational; schedules change again for Chieftain baseball, soccer
- Tonganoxie softball uses walk-off homer, rout to sweep Bonner Springs
- Tonganoxie High wrestlers take 3rd in final Kaw Valley League meet