It’s time for Vacation Bible School for all children from 3 years old through fifth grade. The session will run from 9 a.m.- noon for five days starting Monday at First Baptist Church of McLouth. This year’s theme is “SonSpark Labs.” Please register youths with the forms on the ministry table, or on the church web site: mclouthbaptistchurch.com.
McLouth BBQ Blowout starts June 5
McLouth is setting up for its 24th Annual McLouth BBQ Blowout, which is June 5 and 6 at Prairie Park on the west side of McLouth, near the Stan Braksick Sports Complex. This Northeast Kansas State BBQ Championship is sanctioned through the KC Barbeque Society and sponsored by the McLouth Recreation Commission. Get a dose of hometown goodness, where you can visit with BBQ teams competing for trophies and prize money. Cookers are encouraged to have samples for the People’s Choice Award. Grand champion qualifies for the American Royal BBQ Championship and the Jack Daniel’s BBQ.
Parking and admission are free. Tram rides are available.
• The exotic animal petting zoo and pony rides will be available 6-9 p.m. Friday and 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday.
Additional Saturday events include:
• Kiwanis Country Breakfast at 7 a.m. featuring pancakes, biscuits and gravy
• McLouth Crackerjacks 4-H Pie Baking Contest and Pie Sales. Check-in time is 9 a.m.
• Come test your skill at the Jefferson County Area Chamber of Commerce Backyard BBQ Championship. Entry Fee is $25. Call 913-796-6330 for information and entry forms.
• Classic car, truck, motorcycle and tractor display: Bring your vehicle for display. Special parking will be available. Please arrive by 10 a.m. if possible. For additional information contact Dan Holwick at 913-634-5267.
Gospel music at McLouth UMC The public is invited to enjoy fellowship and the Gospel Music Ministry of Phyllis and Frankie Valens at 7 p.m. June 6. Hear the music of Frankie Valens, popular 60s and 70s recording artist. A love offering will be received and there will be refreshments afterward. Be sure to bring a friend to share this special evening of ministry through music.
Frankie Valens was a nightclub singer in the late 60s and early 70s whose signature song was “This Magic Moment.” He also recorded “Smoke Gets In Your Eyes” and “She Cried.” He toured the United States and Canada and was showcased in Las Vegas. Frankie was an extra in the movies “Ice Castles” and “Every Which Way But Loose.”
Frankie had the opportunity of singing on the same ticket with late President Ronald Reagan and country singer Crystal Gale. He also sang for the inauguration of the former mayor of San Diego as well as for former California governor Pete Wilson’s 60th birthday party at Sea World in San Diego. The Byrds, the Platters and the Boxtops are 60s groups with whom Frankie has shared the spotlight.
Frankie’s wife, Phyllis, is an accomplished concert pianist and has written children’s music for Standard Publishing’s Vacation Bible School courses for more than 20 years, including the theme songs from 1979 and 1985. She writes some of the music the couple sings and has presented full piano concerts herself.
— Please submit McLouth community information, announcements and upcoming events to Beverly Muzzy: email@example.com or 913-796-6935.