Tonganoxie Chieftain cross country teams take first, second at Perry-Lecompton meet
Tonganoxie High cross country teams continue to haul in the hardware at meets this year.
The THS boys won the Perry-Lecompton Invitational on Thursday near Lake Perry, while the girls team finished second.
Aside from the Rim Rock Classic, Tonganoxie teams have finished first or second in the team standings in each of the invites they’ve competed.
At Perry, the Tonganoxie boys won the meet with 42 points. Pleasant Ridge took second (88) and Bishop Miege third (90).
Ethan Phillips placed fourth with a time of 17 minutes, 52 seconds. Drew Cook placed just behind in fifth at 17:53. Tonganoxie’s next three runners weren’t far behind as Dylan Staatz, Chandler Hamman and Carter Kietzman finished 10th, 11th and 12th, respectively.
“We have a much nicer pack in the three-through-five runners than we did last year,” said THS coach John Tollefson.
He noted that Phillips and Cook have done a nice job in the one and two spots, with both trading back and forth.
In the girls race, Emma Campbell placed third (21:20) and Mia Bond fourth (21:22). The next three runners were Alyssa Scott in 16th, Sierra Staatz in 19th and Erin Williams in 22nd.
“I think we’re moving in the right direction,” Tollefson said. “Mia got a lot stronger over the summer. It’s nice to have her up there.”
Tollefson said Campbell continues to run well also.
“Alyssa Scott, she’s coming around nicely,” Tollefson said. “Her times are dropping. She’s getting rid of that gap between the one-two runners three-through-five.”
Tonganoxie competes Thursday at Pleasant Ridge and then will compete in the Kaw Valley League meet Oct. 15 at Shawnee Mission Park.
Regionals will be Oct. 24 in Baldwin.
- Tonganoxie, 42; 2. Pleasant Ridge, 88; 3. Bishop Miege, 90; 4. Kansas City East Christian, 106; 5. Atchison, 111; 6. Anderson County, 128; 7. Bonner Springs, 144; 8. Perry-Lecompton, 206; 9. Jeff West, 232; 10. Holton, 293.
Individual THS finishes
- Ethan Phillips, 17:52; 5. Drew Cook, 17:53; 10. Dylan Staatz, 18:42; 11. Chandler Hamman, 18:43; 12. Carter Kietzman, 18:46; 26. Calvin Morgan, 19:45; 37. Nicholas French, 20:03.9.
- Atchison, 49; 2. Tonganoxie, 58; 3. Basehor-Linwood, 87; 4. Anderson County, 114; 5. Bishop Miege, 123; 6. Kansas City East Christian, 141; 7. Pleasant Ridge, 158; 8. Bonner Springs, 190; 9. Holton, 258.
Individual THS finishes
- Emma Campbell, 21:20; 4. Mia Bond, 21:22; 16. Alyssa Scott, 22:51; 19. Sierra Staatz, 23:06; 22. Erin Williams, 23:25; 24. Hope Creten, 23:29; 29. Nicole Zerrer, 23:52.
More like this story
- Pleasant day for a run for Tonganoxie cross country team
- Leaders of the pack for Tonganoxie cross country
- Footloose Chieftains: Tonganoxie cross country qualifies both teams for state for 1st time in a decade
- Chieftain runners do well at Kaw Valley League meet; THS prepares for regionals
- Clean sweep again for Tonganoxie High cross country