Wichita School District to use bus drivers as custodians
Wichita The Wichita School District says it plans to use bus drivers as part-time custodians as part of a pilot program to keep schools clean and costs down.
The Wichita Eagle reports Wichita school board members will consider a contract Monday with First Student to provide workers to clean cafeterias at 16 elementary schools this semester. First Student is the bus transportation provider for the school district.
According to the district's director of operations Darren Muci, several schools moved custodians to later shifts to clean classrooms, hallways and common areas at the end of the school day. That left the schools in need of extra help at lunchtime, but Muci said there were not enough funds to hire additional custodians.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie USD 464 transportation department commended; current pay-to-ride fees debated
- Brownback urges schools to move more money into classrooms
- Retirement recognition in Tonganoxie USD 464
- Reopening Riddle Boys Ranch concerns some Kansas schools
- Changes in funding could change online offerings in Kansas