Archive for Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Cemetery stroll next month at Holy Angels with First City PAST group

August 31, 2016

Holy Angels Catholic Parish and Cemetery are celebrating 150 years in Leavenworth County.

As part of that celebration, a local group will have a historical storytelling event.

Holy Angels Cemetery sits on 10 peaceful, lovely acres 3 miles west of the town of Basehor and two mile south of Hoge. Originally known as Hoge Cemetery, it is the location of the first Church of the Holy Angels which was established in 1866. In the 1860s, the Kansas Pacific Railroad deeded this land to Bishop John B. Meige to establish a church to encourage settlers to purchase land along the railway. The train made a stop here on its way to Tonganoxie and the town of Hoge grew to include a post office, a grocery store, a creamery and a blacksmith shop.

Walking through the cemetery among the tombstones, one finds that many of those buried here emigrated from Ireland. The stones date back into the 1860s, the oldest one being that of 3-year-old little Nellie Farrell who was buried here in 1861. Legend has it seven pioneers, The Forgotten Seven, traveling through Basehor just after the Civil War, died of pneumonia and were buried near the church.

Members of the First City’s Performers and Story Tellers will lead visitors on a journey to hear stories of Johanna Orche, Bernard Bruce, Alice Rose Sparks, Louise Peterson, Anna Terry, Karen Robinett and Mary Akright. Learn how they helped to shape the community, the struggles they endured, the challenges they faced and the love they had for their community and family.

First City’s PAST will present “Peer into the Past: Holy Angels Cemetery Stories” next month.

Gate will open at 1 p.m. Sept. 18 at Holy Angels Cemetery, 20551 179th St. Tonganoxie. Performances start at 2 p.m. Cost is $10 at the gate for all ages, with proceeds to benefit Holy Angels Catholic Parish. In case of inclement weather (rain and/or high winds), the performance will take place in Quinlan Hall at the church complex on Leavenworth Road in Basehor.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.