Father-son altercation leads to 5-hour Tonganoxie standoff
A Wednesday incident between a father and son involving a gun led to a standoff with police that lasted nearly five hours.
Tonganoxie police were dispatched at 6:45 p.m. to the 600 block of River Street for a domestic disturbance involving a gun.
When officers arrived, the 77-year-old father was leaving the residence with visible injuries to the head. He was taken to an area hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
The man’s 39-year-old son stayed in the house and staged a standoff with police until nearly midnight, according to information Tonganoxie city officials released Thursday.
The son also suffered injuries stemming from the initial altercation with his father, Tonganoxie officials said. He also was taken to an area hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
Tonganoxie police arrested the 39-year-old with help from the Leavenworth County Sheriff’s office and Basehor police.
Tonganoxie police and Leavenworth County Sheriff’s officers continue to investigate the incident. Anyone with additional information about the case is asked to call the Tonganoxie Police Department at 913-369-3754.
More like this story
- Basehor man arrested on second-degree murder charges for allegedly killing father
- Tonganoxie man to appear in court Monday following alleged stabbing
- Suspect identified in case involving threatening message at Tonganoxie Elementary School
- Practicing procedure enhanced with simulator program at Tonganoxie Police Department
- Man in stolen vehicle killed in two-vehicle accident Thursday east of Tonganoxie