See current severe weather alerts.
Sunrise & sunset
Moonrise & moonset
- High waters at area lakes to hinder July 4 recreation
- July 3, 2019
- Jet skiing, tubing and most camping might be off limits this Independence Day at both Perry and Clinton lakes, where historically high waters are complicating holiday recreation.
- Family, friends and even strangers help clean up after Linwood tornado demolishes dairy
- June 12, 2019
- Lawrence firefighter Rob Leach spoke into a portable radio microphone, giving instructions to a group of volunteers to move from the pasture to a cornfield as they picked up debris Saturday morning at Lin-Crest Farm. “My fire department training has come in handy,” he said. Rob’s family dairy farm, 3 miles north of Linwood, was demolished on May 28 by the EF-4 tornado that cut a 32-mile path of destruction through Douglas County and Leavenworth counties. Eleven days after the life-changing storm, Rob and his wife, Lisa, coordinated Saturday’s cleanup, with the help of about 100 volunteers, including folks from the show-cattle circuit, colleagues from work, 4-H club members and even strangers.
- Genesis Christian Academy cancels Wednesday classes
- February 20, 2019
- Genesis Christian Academy has canceled Wednesday classes. GCA officials posted on social media Tuesday night that they would make a decision on whether to cancel classes early this morning. Tonganoxie USD 464 and other area schools called off classes Tuesday night.
- Closings and late starts for the Tonganoxie area on Nov. 26
- 08:49 a.m., November 26, 2018 Updated 09:13 a.m.
- Winter Storm Brutus caused many early closings on Sunday and cancellations and late openings Monday.
- Winter Storm Bruce causing several cancellations in area
- November 25, 2018
- Winter Storm Bruce is making for an extended Thanksgiving holiday weekend for many students and teachers in the area. All Leavenworth County school districts — Tonganoxie USD 464, Basehor-Linwood USD 458, Lansing USD 469, Leavenworth USD 453 and Easton USD 449 (Pleasant Ridge) — all will have a snow day Monday. Genesis Christian Academy in Tonganoxie also will not have classes tomorrow.
- Weather in Tonganoxie causes outages, postponement
- 11:51 p.m., March 6, 2017 Updated 09:15 a.m.
- Crews worked overnight to fix power outages in Tonganoxie and elsewhere in northeast Kansas, thanks to severe weather Monday night. Westar Energy’s website reported five outages in Tonganoxie still affecting about 1,800 customers just before 11 p.m.
- Leavenworth County under tornado watch; red flag warning set for Tuesday
- March 6, 2017
- Tonganoxie is under a tornado watch until 10 p.m. Monday, while a wind advisory is set to end at 6 p.m. Monday.
- Norway: An adventure of a lifetime
- October 6, 2016
- Velkomen! Jeg heter Catherine Davidson, and this summer I got to experience an adventure that I will never forget.
- Get out, drought: Kansas currently completely free from dry status
- September 28, 2016
- What would eventually become Kansas was once described as an arid region barely hospitable enough for habitation. “These vast plains may become in time as celebrated as the sandy deserts of Africa,” the explorer Zebulon Pike wrote in 1810. Western portions of the Sunflower State were part of what was called the Great American Desert for decades. Though settlers moving into the region in the middle of the 19th century discovered they could make a living in what seemed at first to be unforgivable conditions, the Dust Bowl that defined the “Dirty Thirties” in the following century had many wondering whether the region was destined to indeed become a desert, The Wichita Eagle reports.
- Kansas sees more tornadoes than normal, but most weak
- December 14, 2015
- Meteorologists say Kansas saw more tornadoes than normal this year, but all but a few were weak and short-lived.