See current severe weather alerts.
Sunrise & sunset
Moonrise & moonset
- Amtrak’s Southwest Chief to reduce service through Kansas
- August 26, 2020
- Amtrak riders in Kansas will encounter reduced service starting in October as part of the rail passenger service’s nationwide cutback in routes because of the coronavirus pandemic. The Southwest Chief, which runs through Kansas from Chicago to Los Angeles, will reduce its service beginning Oct. 12, Amtrak said on its website. Nearly every Amtrak route across the country has been or will be reduced because of a “dramatic drop” in passengers during the pandemic, the company said. Currently, the Southwest Chief operates seven days a week.
- Storm hits area Saturday; debris drop-off available
- July 1, 2020
- Tonganoxie residents were cleaning up Saturday morning after an overnight storm brought some hail and strong winds that caused damage to several trees. City residents can drop off tree limbs and brush from the storm, in the lot next to the Tonganoxie City Fire Station on Fourth Street if they have some debris still to move. The city is allowing the drop-off for two weeks after the storms, so residents still have some time.
- No school Friday for Tonganoxie, McLouth or Genesis Christian Academy
- January 24, 2020
- Inclement weather has forced the cancellation of Friday classes for the second consecutive week in Tonganoxie and McLouth. There will be no school Friday for Tonganoxie USD 464, McLouth USD 342 or Genesis Christian Academy. Other area school districts canceling classes are Basehor-Linwood, Lansing, Pleasant Ridge, PIper and Bonner Springs.
- Genesis Christian Academy joins Tonganoxie USD 464, McLouth USD 342, other area public schools in canceling Monday classes
- 06:34 p.m., December 15, 2019 Updated 05:25 a.m.
- Tonganoxie USD 464 teachers and students have their first snow day of the school year. And now, Genesis Christian Academy will have a snow day also. Tonganoxie school district officials called off Monday classes early Sunday evening. GCA made its decision early Monday morning. McLouth USD 342 also canceled Monday classes due to inclement weather. Tonganoxie joined all other Leavenworth County school districts (Basehor-Linwood, Pleasant Ridge, Lansing, Leavenworth and Fort Leavenworth) and McLouth in calling off Monday classes Sunday. The cancellations were consistent throughout the region. Baldwin, Lawrence, Oskaloosa, Piper and Bonner Springs school districts also canceled Monday classses.
- High waters at area lakes to hinder July 4 recreation
- July 3, 2019
- Jet skiing, tubing and most camping might be off limits this Independence Day at both Perry and Clinton lakes, where historically high waters are complicating holiday recreation.
- Family, friends and even strangers help clean up after Linwood tornado demolishes dairy
- June 12, 2019
- Lawrence firefighter Rob Leach spoke into a portable radio microphone, giving instructions to a group of volunteers to move from the pasture to a cornfield as they picked up debris Saturday morning at Lin-Crest Farm. “My fire department training has come in handy,” he said. Rob’s family dairy farm, 3 miles north of Linwood, was demolished on May 28 by the EF-4 tornado that cut a 32-mile path of destruction through Douglas County and Leavenworth counties. Eleven days after the life-changing storm, Rob and his wife, Lisa, coordinated Saturday’s cleanup, with the help of about 100 volunteers, including folks from the show-cattle circuit, colleagues from work, 4-H club members and even strangers.
- Genesis Christian Academy cancels Wednesday classes
- February 20, 2019
- Genesis Christian Academy has canceled Wednesday classes. GCA officials posted on social media Tuesday night that they would make a decision on whether to cancel classes early this morning. Tonganoxie USD 464 and other area schools called off classes Tuesday night.
- Closings and late starts for the Tonganoxie area on Nov. 26
- 08:49 a.m., November 26, 2018 Updated 09:13 a.m.
- Winter Storm Brutus caused many early closings on Sunday and cancellations and late openings Monday.
- Winter Storm Bruce causing several cancellations in area
- November 25, 2018
- Winter Storm Bruce is making for an extended Thanksgiving holiday weekend for many students and teachers in the area. All Leavenworth County school districts — Tonganoxie USD 464, Basehor-Linwood USD 458, Lansing USD 469, Leavenworth USD 453 and Easton USD 449 (Pleasant Ridge) — all will have a snow day Monday. Genesis Christian Academy in Tonganoxie also will not have classes tomorrow.
- Weather in Tonganoxie causes outages, postponement
- 11:51 p.m., March 6, 2017 Updated 09:15 a.m.
- Crews worked overnight to fix power outages in Tonganoxie and elsewhere in northeast Kansas, thanks to severe weather Monday night. Westar Energy’s website reported five outages in Tonganoxie still affecting about 1,800 customers just before 11 p.m.