See current severe weather alerts.
Sunrise & sunset
Moonrise & moonset
- Heat advisory issued for area into Thursday night
- August 11, 2021
- The Tonganoxie area again is under an excessive heat warning. The latest warning, which the National Weather Service issued early Tuesday, is in effect until 8 p.m. Thursday for various counties in the area, including Leavenworth County. Heat index values are expected to climb anywhere between 105 and 110 degrees, with overnight temperatures expected to hover around 80 degrees.
- Heat advisory extended to Friday evening
- July 29, 2021
- The current heat advisory that includes the Tonganoxie area has been extended another day. Leavenworth and Jefferson counties are among portions of northeast Kansas in a heat advisory that has been extended a day. It now is set to expire at 9 p.m. Friday. Heat index values are between 105 and 110 degrees today and are expected to be near 105 Friday afternoon, according to the National Weather Service.
- Heat advisory in effect through Thursday night
- July 28, 2021
- A heat wave is expected to grip the area this week, with heat index values expected to reach 108 degrees. Leavenworth and Jefferson counties are among portions of northeast Kansas in a heat advisory until 9 p.m. Thursday. East central, central and southeast Kansas also are in the National Weather Service advisory, as are parts of Missouri. Highs are expected to reach 98 degrees today and 100 degrees Thursday in the middle of Leavenworth County Fair Week in Tonganoxie.
- Leavenworth County under severe thunderstorm warning until 3:15 p.m. Friday
- 02:09 p.m., June 11, 2021 Updated 02:25 p.m.
- Tonganoxie is included in a severe thunderstorm warning until 3:15 p.m. Friday.
- Bitter temps cause closures early in week
- February 17, 2021
- The prolonged bitter temperatures in recent days forced Tonganoxie USD 464 to cancel classes for a fourth consecutive school day as the city of Tonganoxie also postponed a meeting due to the inclement weather.
- Classes canceled again for Wednesday in Tonganoxie school district
- February 16, 2021
- Tonganoxie USD 464 has canceled classes for a fourth consecutive day. Superintendent Loren Feldkamp announced Tuesday evening that classes again would not be in session Wednesday. Concerns about the potential for more snow and slick roads, as well as rolling blackouts, factored into the decision.
- Tonganoxie USD 464 cancels 3rd consecutive school day due to weather; Genesis Christian Academy also cancels Tuesday classes
- 02:07 p.m., February 15, 2021 Updated 03:27 p.m.
- The prolonged bitter temperatures are forcing Tonganoxie USD 464 to cancel classes for a third consecutive school day. District officials announced Monday morning that classes again would not be in session Tuesday due to inclement weather. Friday classes were canceled Thursday due to the impending low temperatures and then Monday’s classes were canceled Sunday as the cold spell pushed on through the weekend.
- Amtrak’s Southwest Chief to reduce service through Kansas
- August 26, 2020
- Amtrak riders in Kansas will encounter reduced service starting in October as part of the rail passenger service’s nationwide cutback in routes because of the coronavirus pandemic. The Southwest Chief, which runs through Kansas from Chicago to Los Angeles, will reduce its service beginning Oct. 12, Amtrak said on its website. Nearly every Amtrak route across the country has been or will be reduced because of a “dramatic drop” in passengers during the pandemic, the company said. Currently, the Southwest Chief operates seven days a week.
- Storm hits area Saturday; debris drop-off available
- July 1, 2020
- Tonganoxie residents were cleaning up Saturday morning after an overnight storm brought some hail and strong winds that caused damage to several trees. City residents can drop off tree limbs and brush from the storm, in the lot next to the Tonganoxie City Fire Station on Fourth Street if they have some debris still to move. The city is allowing the drop-off for two weeks after the storms, so residents still have some time.
- No school Friday for Tonganoxie, McLouth or Genesis Christian Academy
- January 24, 2020
- Inclement weather has forced the cancellation of Friday classes for the second consecutive week in Tonganoxie and McLouth. There will be no school Friday for Tonganoxie USD 464, McLouth USD 342 or Genesis Christian Academy. Other area school districts canceling classes are Basehor-Linwood, Lansing, Pleasant Ridge, PIper and Bonner Springs.