See current severe weather alerts.
Sunrise & sunset
Moonrise & moonset
- Closings and late starts for the Tonganoxie area on Nov. 26
- 08:49 a.m., November 26, 2018 Updated 09:13 a.m.
- Winter Storm Brutus caused many early closings on Sunday and cancellations and late openings Monday.
- Winter Storm Bruce causing several cancellations in area
- November 25, 2018
- Winter Storm Bruce is making for an extended Thanksgiving holiday weekend for many students and teachers in the area. All Leavenworth County school districts — Tonganoxie USD 464, Basehor-Linwood USD 458, Lansing USD 469, Leavenworth USD 453 and Easton USD 449 (Pleasant Ridge) — all will have a snow day Monday. Genesis Christian Academy in Tonganoxie also will not have classes tomorrow.
- Weather in Tonganoxie causes outages, postponement
- 11:51 p.m., March 6, 2017 Updated 09:15 a.m.
- Crews worked overnight to fix power outages in Tonganoxie and elsewhere in northeast Kansas, thanks to severe weather Monday night. Westar Energy’s website reported five outages in Tonganoxie still affecting about 1,800 customers just before 11 p.m.
- Leavenworth County under tornado watch; red flag warning set for Tuesday
- March 6, 2017
- Tonganoxie is under a tornado watch until 10 p.m. Monday, while a wind advisory is set to end at 6 p.m. Monday.
- Norway: An adventure of a lifetime
- October 6, 2016
- Velkomen! Jeg heter Catherine Davidson, and this summer I got to experience an adventure that I will never forget.
- Get out, drought: Kansas currently completely free from dry status
- September 28, 2016
- What would eventually become Kansas was once described as an arid region barely hospitable enough for habitation. “These vast plains may become in time as celebrated as the sandy deserts of Africa,” the explorer Zebulon Pike wrote in 1810. Western portions of the Sunflower State were part of what was called the Great American Desert for decades. Though settlers moving into the region in the middle of the 19th century discovered they could make a living in what seemed at first to be unforgivable conditions, the Dust Bowl that defined the “Dirty Thirties” in the following century had many wondering whether the region was destined to indeed become a desert, The Wichita Eagle reports.
- Kansas sees more tornadoes than normal, but most weak
- December 14, 2015
- Meteorologists say Kansas saw more tornadoes than normal this year, but all but a few were weak and short-lived.
- Icy road conditions claim 4 more lives in Kansas
- November 29, 2015
- Authorities in Kansas are blaming four more traffic deaths in the Wichita area on the icy conditions gripping the state and other parts of the nation’s midsection.
- Scientists fly Kansas sky to study ferocious storms
- July 20, 2015
- No thrill-seekers here. These jetliner-flying storm chasers are on a scientific mission. They’re trying to figure out how to better predict a little-examined peculiarity of summer weather on the Great Plains: its enormous, and often ferocious, nighttime thunderstorms.
- Sirens failed to sound in Nickerson as tornado hit area
- July 15, 2015
- Tornado sirens failed to go off in Nickerson as a tornado hit the area.