Phillips, Bogart reunited with high school coach
Shawnee When the Tonganoxie High boys travelled Friday to Mill Valley, both teams' head coaches received an unexpected surprise.
Tonganoxie's Shawn Phillips and Mill Valley's Justin Bogart — both THS graduates — got the opportunity to coach in front of their former mentor, as longtime Chieftain coach Ken Diskin was on hand for the game.
"The second that I saw him, it just brought back a lot of memories about playing high school basketball," said Bogart, a 1989 Chieftain grad. "That reminds me to always remind our kids how special these moments are. It meant a lot to me that he would come back."
Diskin, who now lives in Cheney, coached at Tonganoxie from 1980 to 1993. He led the Chieftains to a 1983 Pioneer League title and the inaugural Kaw Valley League title a year later. He also coached the 1984 squad to a fourth-place finish at the state tournament.
"Coach Diskin was always fun to be around," said Phillips, who graduated in 1994." I talked to him for several years after I graduated high school. I didn't know he was going to be here, but it's always good to see your old coaches."
More like this story
- Tonganoxie celebrates new Good Shepherd building
- District celebrates new TES with handful of ceremonies
- Cowboy event moseying in this weekend into Tonganoxie
- Tonganoxie St. Pat's Parade organizers working to bulk up annual spring event
- Leavenworth County Fair offers senior event through Council on Aging