Local food pantry seeking donations
The shelves are not bare but they could use some help.
Tonganoxie's Good Shep-herd Thrift Shop and Food Pantry relies on donations of food items to help make holidays merrier for the needy.
"We have just got some more food in," said Shirley Sheaffer, who co-manages the charity with Lois Lee and Dorothy Korb.
"But we can always use more, because really we are about out of things," she added.
Particularly needed are staples such as peanut butter and jelly, as well as pancake mix and syrup, she said.
For holidays, Good Shepherd furnishes meals to families who request them. Last year, the organization provided five Thanksgiving meals and 20 Christmas dinners. The Christmas dinners came with gifts for family members, she said.
"We try to provide a complete Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner, including turkey, ham, cranberry sauce and all the trimmings," Sheaffer said.
It's time to sign up for Christmas dinner, Sheaffer said.
"We need to have people sign up by December first if they need help with Christmas," she said. "I think there are some groups and families who would like to adopt families to bring dinner and gifts to for Christmas they need to let us know right away if they're interested."
More like this story
- Crowded field for Position 2 on Tonganoxie USD 464 board
- Hats off to you, Tonganoxie and McLouth graduates
- Creating a family: Agency seeks more foster families; greatest need in Wyandotte County
- Police were on scene when Tonganoxie principal left campus; sheriff's office conducting investigation
- Wichita teachers challenged to teach refugee children